Alarms, Alarmists, All that said....
I (Deanie) apologize for not updating our blog more regularly. Tim/Dad and I have been making and enjoying some spare moments this summer. I hope you will forgive us this "selfish time."
In my first RE-entry, I would like to share an opinion. (Not dictum ~ Just my thoughts.) Here goes...
My father was born into a family of German immigrants. He and my mother taught me and my siblings:
"Blind obedience is the tool Hitler used to gain power.
He couldn't do what he did
if the people had questioned and investigated for themselves. "
"It is imperative for faith and freedom be trustorthy.
If it cannot be tested,
or it does not hold up to be true,
do not trust it."
"If it doesn't hold water, you shouldn't pour yourself into it."
He couldn't do what he did
if the people had questioned and investigated for themselves. "
"It is imperative for faith and freedom be trustorthy.
If it cannot be tested,
or it does not hold up to be true,
do not trust it."
"If it doesn't hold water, you shouldn't pour yourself into it."
Consequently, as a legacy from my father and mother, while I believe in blind faith, I do not believe in blind trust. I learned to see fanatics as those who do not test teachings (or teachers or leaders or alarms) for truth or trustworthiness.
Alarms
When the Harry Potter books first came out, they created quite a stir in the Christian community. I believe that is because they were written by a professed wicken (witch), and they were about witchcraft and magic. Certain Christian leaders sent out a warning that because the books were sourced by pagan thinking, Christians should not read them.
I realized, few to none of the Christian leaders who raised the alarm had actually read the books. (Many were the same leaders who warned us not to see the movie The Passion of the Christ.) I remember thinking my God is more powerful than some bit of fiction I might read... Their opinion sounds a lot like book banning... The Scriptures tell us we are supposed to judge for ourselves, and not be blind followers.... God gave us good minds and a free will to discern what is good, bad or worthless.
Over the years I have seen many alarms
banning "unChristian" books and movies.
Often, the warnings are unjustifiably "alarmist."
Alarmists
banning "unChristian" books and movies.
Often, the warnings are unjustifiably "alarmist."
Alarmists
I regret to say, that overly alarming and under-investigated reports have discredited my opinion of many Christian leaders. I am pleased to say that I have not found that to be the case with either Billy Graham or R C Sproul. Yes, they do give advice and warnings, but only after their own investigation, and always with encouragement that others investigate as well. More often than not, these two men refrain from giving their opinion so that people will ask questions and look for the answers themselves.
All that having been said.....
Upon the release of the seventh and final Harry Potter book (and realizing Jeremy had already purchased all of them), I decided to read the entire series in one fell swoop. It took me nearly three weeks to read all seven books. At the conclusion, I wish to say, I think J. K Rowling is a most gifted author, and I greatly enjoyed her entire series. Though I disagree with her religious beliefs, I do not fear her, or hate her, or worry that her writings may have mystically brainwashed me. I simply, greatly enjoyed her writings.
I found the Potter series to be a very long and very enjoyable fairy tale.
I found the Potter series to be filled with stories of mythical, magical beings
much like those that have been told for hundreds of generations.
I found the Potter series to be filled with stories of mythical, magical beings
much like those that have been told for hundreds of generations.
The books were filled with old themes found in fairy tales and in pagan Roman and Greek mythology, and throughout human history. I did not find any dangerous philosophies that could undermine my Christian faith. It was no more religious than Lord of the Flies, but the theme was the same. There was a parallel to the bigotry and rise and fall of the Third Reich (and, in essence, most other dictatorships in history). Long familiar themes were good versus evil ~ love versus greed ~ bigotry versus tolerance ~ love of brother versus love of power ~ knowledge versus ignorance...
Within the secular pagan storyline, there were two things that piqued my Christian curiosity. Firstly, I wondered why Rowling made reference to Christian holidays such as Christmas and Easter. She presented these holidays with no true import or understanding. They might as well have been Memorial Day or Labor Day. And so, I wonder why she even bothered to include the Christian holidays in the story. I suppose she thought children might feel confused by the chronology of Harry Potter's school year if she did not use familiar holiday vacation periods .
Secondly, I was intrigued by Rowling's impressions of an afterlife. She conveyed a picture of the "dearly departed" living happily for eternity. But, she did not address the afterlife of the "not so dearly departed." Did they continue their conflict after death? Would dead villans help the living villans in the same way "good guys" were helped? I found such holes in her story line to be disturbing. (Come to think of it, those were the ONLY holes I found. She did a really good job with that.)
In closing, I found the Potter books to be "enchanting" and of no more threat to my Christian faith than the Hardy Boys, or Huck Finn, or Roman mythology, or urban legends related around a campfire. I know a fairy tale is fantasy. Likewise, I have tested my Christian faith, and I know the truth of WHO I trust and why.
Mizpah......
Mizpah......


6 Comments:
3 WEEKS!!! Geeze mom i forgot how you can just read. with my a.d.d i still cant finish a small book in one sitting. i just cant do it.
During our most recent trip to Williamsburg, Virginia you said something that I never really understood. You helped me to see better what we really have in this country. You said it so easy, yet easy it is not, nor was it easily attained.
We are a free country. We decide who will say I'm your President. Not someone saying I'm your President. Not Hitler,Lennon,SodamnInsane,
and even when a Bush is our President he cannot say I will be your President for the rest of my time.
Freedom is a gift our forefathers gave to us through many struggles. Lets not take for granted what we did not really fight for. Look for ways to remind yourself of the lives lost to gain and retain this freedom we enjoy.
The only reason you liked the Harry Potter books is because you are now possessed by a demon named Eustace, and you are going to start drinking snake blood and sacrificing squirrels on weird stone altars in the ravine while ginger roots rot in bowls of milk under your bed. Congratulations.
P.S. I'm like totally surrounded by priests if you want me to steal some holy water or a Book of Hours or something holyesque. I'll just watch "The Exorcist" before I come home.
Well said!. I must say that I loved the movies, based on the visual stimulation...I couldn't tell you the story line. Yet I also believe that especially with children, there needs to be an explanition of the fiction of the stories to the truth of Christ. I couldn't tell you my shock and dismay when my daughter started watching "Charmed" and asked "don't good witches go to heaven?" After I woke from hitting the floor I had a long talk with her. Mind you my hitting the floor wasn't just because of the good witch thing, but if you every saw "Charmed", their lifestyle spoke nothing of Christ-like living. Nevertheless, she now sits on the front row of church services :o)
I'm impressed that a person like you with clear religious beliefs, can objectively read books on a subject that is clearly not along the lines of the christian faith. On that note, I thank you for teaching all of your children to analyze what is being said to them so that the can form their own opinions.
Thanks to my mom I am able to hold true to "my" beliefs and not be swayed by things I don't agree with.
I can't believe you haven't blogged about your granddaughter yet.
Post a Comment
<< Home