To our Loved Ones in Warmer Climes: Happy Easter, 2007
Looking out the window of my office on Tuesday I could see a faint green haze creeping into the gray landscaping. Outside it was 84 degrees with brilliant blue skies and a gentle breeze.
We both forgot the term of our plow contract runs from November 1st to April 1st.
We barely made it out of the driveway at 5:40 a.m. to go to Easter Sunrise Service. The roads were heavy with snow, and we took our time. Lights and curls of smoke rose from the lodge chimneys. The crew arrived early to start the fires, set the tables and begin cooking. The Nelson family, the DeWitt's, Bob Copeland... A new heat duct runs the length of the lodge carrying heat throughout the room. It soon became so toasty warm we soon shed several layers of clothing. Dad said, "Normally I would go outside for a smoke, and that would cool me down."
Dad sang a duo, He's Alive, with Pastor Roger Korsten, and it was fantastic. I saw a few people with tears in their eyes. Someone later said they had their head bowed, and thought at first it was a recording of Johnny Cash. The song in itself was a whole Easter message. The whole service was quite wonderful.
The teens shared their testimonies and served us breakfast. Nicole DeWitt is a senior in high school and has a voice like an angel. Dana is in college. Her dad, Dave, is a math teacher at Memorial Jr. High. Kacie Slattery teaches there too.
I thought about the fact Kate was just six months old the first time we went to one of these breakfasts. Danny Pierce and Greg Welch were babies too. They were there today - now grown men and finished with college.
Home by 8:30, Dad and I took a nap. It snowed and snowed and snowed. Around noon we realized the cars were stuck in the driveway. Dad and Jeremy shoveled. The snow was heavy and wet. I put the ham in the oven, and sat down to write the blog.
Tim2 and Marisa will arrive around 2:00 p.m. We will eat at 3:00 . Tim2 is scheduled to fly out around 6:30.
Charlene has the day off. She and Jeremy will be able to join us for dinner.
Joshua and Rachel are in Richmond, VA with Jim and Charlotte. Kate and Steve were going to join them, but they had to stay in Charlotte, NC.
We did not buy any candy, and we did not put out Easter baskets this year. This is the first Easter in my life with no jelly beans.
The family is all spread out, but we feel immense joy and gratitude for the great blessings God has bestowed on this family. It is Easter Sunday, and inspite of the snow, we are assured He is Risen Indeed.
The following pictures were taken at high noon on Easter Sunday.- I came home from work, put on shorts, made a pot of coffee and sat on the porch watching the dogs playing.
- It was lovely.
- I pulled a few weeds and mosied around the gardens.
- I watered the Bonzai tree Joshua started on his last visit home. There were a few buds on it.
- I was happy to see none of the buds on the fruit trees had popped open.
- Helen was in seventh heaven as she mowed her lawn.
We both forgot the term of our plow contract runs from November 1st to April 1st.
We barely made it out of the driveway at 5:40 a.m. to go to Easter Sunrise Service. The roads were heavy with snow, and we took our time. Lights and curls of smoke rose from the lodge chimneys. The crew arrived early to start the fires, set the tables and begin cooking. The Nelson family, the DeWitt's, Bob Copeland... A new heat duct runs the length of the lodge carrying heat throughout the room. It soon became so toasty warm we soon shed several layers of clothing. Dad said, "Normally I would go outside for a smoke, and that would cool me down."
Dad sang a duo, He's Alive, with Pastor Roger Korsten, and it was fantastic. I saw a few people with tears in their eyes. Someone later said they had their head bowed, and thought at first it was a recording of Johnny Cash. The song in itself was a whole Easter message. The whole service was quite wonderful.
The teens shared their testimonies and served us breakfast. Nicole DeWitt is a senior in high school and has a voice like an angel. Dana is in college. Her dad, Dave, is a math teacher at Memorial Jr. High. Kacie Slattery teaches there too.
I thought about the fact Kate was just six months old the first time we went to one of these breakfasts. Danny Pierce and Greg Welch were babies too. They were there today - now grown men and finished with college.
Home by 8:30, Dad and I took a nap. It snowed and snowed and snowed. Around noon we realized the cars were stuck in the driveway. Dad and Jeremy shoveled. The snow was heavy and wet. I put the ham in the oven, and sat down to write the blog.
Tim2 and Marisa will arrive around 2:00 p.m. We will eat at 3:00 . Tim2 is scheduled to fly out around 6:30.
Charlene has the day off. She and Jeremy will be able to join us for dinner.
Joshua and Rachel are in Richmond, VA with Jim and Charlotte. Kate and Steve were going to join them, but they had to stay in Charlotte, NC.
We did not buy any candy, and we did not put out Easter baskets this year. This is the first Easter in my life with no jelly beans.
The family is all spread out, but we feel immense joy and gratitude for the great blessings God has bestowed on this family. It is Easter Sunday, and inspite of the snow, we are assured He is Risen Indeed.
Allelujah!!
They show Dad in his brown coat and hoodie, Molly Wuppie, and Jeremy in a dark blue coat.
To our Loved Ones in Warmer Climes - Happy Easter, 2007


5 Comments:
I decided to quit shoveling snow before I had a heart attack. Sure enough twenty minutes later the snow plow showed up snd finished the driveway.
You were all missed this Easter Sunday. The most important and meaningfull day of the life of Jesus. He is alive and he has risen and heavens gates are open wide.
Love to you all,
Dad
Happy (belated) Easter! Sorry you guys are getting pummeled with snow. I can't say I miss it though... We are so glad Josh & Rach made it to VA for a visit.
-Char
the snow looks fun. i miss the beauty of it, but not the cold. and i thought jer was with charlene not charlotte.
ooops. Why do I do that? Its fixed now. The Chars will never know.
Who is in the house taking pictures while the snow is coming down in buckets?
Post a Comment
<< Home